Sunday, December 16, 2012

One good death... deserves another?


I have refused to watch the video clip of the Aalu mob action; because I have witnessed similar scenes in the past and need no refreshers...

I have also refused to view pictures of the devastation wrought by Boko Haram in various locations in northern Nigeria, and I understand better why videos of 9/11 are so distressing for Americans.

I have long pointed out that the bane of the Nigerian society is the absence of the rule of law, compounded by the lack of social justice...

Confronted by the ugliness that the mob of Aalu has demonstrated, some have pointed out the horrors they have endured for long - their women raped, their homes looted and their men killed in muggings for phones and sundry devices by criminals of similar profile as the butchered men.

In response to why students have delayed in turning out for protests, we are reminded of the reign of terror 'campus cults' inflict on these same students.

On the streets of Lagos, a cantankerous 'okada rider' can decide to ruin the day for any car owner; I am yet to see other drivers stop to offer support.

Take any community in Nigeria, from Victoria Garden City in Lekki to the Garden City of Port Harcourt; when a home is invaded, neighbours would merely shut their own doors and bar their windows onward.

Where does it lead us? Sadly, nowhere. There is no thirst for change.

I see my 'friends' on Facebook demand that justice be done... but really does anyone truly believe that the members of that community would break a sweat to bring the participants of that mob to book?

To the numerous few that questioned the 'innocence' of fellow Northerners who failed to turn in their Boko Haram neighbours; can any of you please explain to me why 'innocent' and 'God-fearing' lookers-on failed to intervene in that outrage?

There is a vindictive streak in us all, that seeks retribution for every wrong, real or imagined that we may have suffered in our past. Many in that crowd could recall some ordeal, experienced or narrated at the hands of robbers, rapists or cultists; so drawing some blood was not an unwelcome idea. It did not matter that those guys were probably not the ones involved in their personal ordeals, it was just enough to imagine it was them.

Similarly, I have interviewed literate, educated, lower middle class residents of Boko Haram inundated areas who said "well, let the others also see that living in this country has become a great burden on some of us". This was his reaction to the menace of terrorism in our nation.

It is easy to determine who and what is right or wrong, especially if you are removed from the experience and episodes. It is infinitely more difficult to state with all certainty however who should be punished or who should be let off.

It is ultimately sad that we have arrived at this sorry pass. And sorrier that there is little hope for redemption. Nigerians have failed Nigeria. I have witnessed lynch mobs in the past; I never stopped any. I have seen okadas terrorize one too many drivers; but never stopped to help. I knew several cultists back in the day; I never turned in any. I have heard conversations about date-related gang rapes; I never reported the culprits.

For these and many other atrocities I have committed, I refuse to watch that video; because I fear that the faces I would see on that mob would be mine...
And for these same reasons, I condemn the mob action, only after acknowledging my contributions, and recognize that when I was in that position, I really did not act much differently.

This is my challenge to all my friends, on Facebook and in life; please examine your own selves and come to terms with the reality you discover... maybe then we may come to realize why the rule of law and social justice is indispensable for any society. We need it to keep our venal desires in check; for if the truth be told, I am as good as the worst of that mob if only as bad as the best. 

And so are you, my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment